Part of my job there was to dress as a cook and of course... work in the cook shack. As part of making guests feel more like they were "actually" back in time I had to cook potatoes, onions and salt pork daily. The smell was awesome! I had to expand on it though as eggs, milk and butter were never brought to a logging camp.
We also like eating this when camping. Its super easy to make over a fire, is excellent hangover medicine, and the wood smell adds to the taste.
Sara's Breakfast Skillet
(Or whatever witty name my followers come up with)
- 5-7 Medium Potatoes peeled & sliced
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onions
- 1/4 C Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 Pound Bacon (Your favorite flavor will work), chopped.
- 1/8 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 3-4 Slices of cheese
- 5-6 Eggs
- 3 Tbsp Milk
In large skillet:
On medium heat, add half the butter and all the potatoes. Fry 1-2 minutes until butter has melted.
Add Onions and the rest of the butter. Stir.
Add sliced up bacon to skillet. I usually just take a pair of scissors and cut it over the pan.
Add small amount of pepper.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally to ensure potatoes don't get stuck to the pan.
Continue to cook until potato are soft and bacon is done.
Drain entire mixture in strainer to get most of the grease off. Put back in skillet and continue to cook on Warm/Low.
|Potatoes, Onions, Cut Bacon|
In second (small) skillet: (Scrambled Eggs)
On medium heat, combine eggs, milk, and pepper (to taste). Cook until almost firm.
Add Scrambled Eggs to Potato Mixture and stir until combined. Mix in Brown Sugar. Layer cheese over entire mixture. Cover and let warm until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- Try Ham, Sausage or all three instead of just bacon!
- Add salsa, chives, or purple onions for more color.
- Milk can be removed for those who cannot have it, the eggs just won't be as fluffy.
- Red potatoes can be used with their skins still on.
- Use any type of cheese you like (or none at all)! This time we used a mix of provolone and mozzarella. The best in my opinion is regular American sliced cheese.
- You don't have to use the brown sugar, I just like the sweetness it adds to the potatoes and bacon.
|Goes great with Orange Juice!|
Overall Cost: $6.00. Meal Serves: 4 ($1.50 per serving!)
***Check back soon for new posts!!! Thanks for stopping by! ***